12.20.2009

What to Wear on the Days Leading Up to Christmas and on Christmas Day




Christmas just lightens the heart. Why not play an ode to the special holiday and add a little festiveness to your wardrobe leading up to Christmas Day. We have covered holiday parties and Christmas Eve looks, what about your everyday clothes or work wear? I personally am working up until Christmas Day, so I want to add some Christmas cheer to my outfits. I always plan my outfits ahead of time, that way getting ready in the morning is very easy (I am not a morning person). I have two looks for you, Monday and Tuesday of this week (the twenty is third is my office Christmas party, remember?). Monday, follows the Glitz and Glamour trend and Tuesday is Christmas in the Nude!

Glitz and Glamour Monday: I am pairing a simple black boat neck top underneath a maroon chiffon overlay blouse with black Bebe pants over patent pumps. To add a little glitz to the ensemble I thought a rhinestone and pearl collar necklace would be perfect. Remember, you don't want to look your are actually trying to look festive. Usually you just end up looking trashy. If you don't have to work, lucky you, pair a basic red sweater or cardigan with skinny jeans and some flat boots. Put in some diamond or rhinestone studs and viola!

Christmas in the Nude Tuesday: Nude is another big trend right now. How to wear it is by pairing gold with cream and tan. I am wearing a gold cardigan over a cream neck tie blouse with tan trousers. To keep it business appropriate, I am pairing nude square toe pumps with gold buckles. For a little Christmas cheer, I thought my vintage emerald pendant necklace would be ideal. Maybe even my vintage bronze chain link cocktail purse would add a nice touch. The nude look is a lot more difficult to tackle when you do not have to dress up. What you can do, is do the nude trend with another trend. Pair a tan cardigan over a cream blouse with jeans and bright ballet flats, like red ones or gold ones. Add some colored gem earrings and bracelets and there you go!

I know you may be thinking that you just want to lounge around in your flannel snowman pj's, but Christmas comes but once a year, why not dress up a little for it. It makes this time of year more special and memorable. Not to mention, much better looking pictures (hello, can you say face book).

The Big Show: Christmas Day

Usually, on Christmas Day, I wear nice trousers and a festive blouse, or something of the kind. However, when I was watching a DVD from Netflix called "Christmas, Unwrapped", I kept picturing this Christmas Day at my Mom's like it was in an old movie from the 60's. The women in dresses, men in suits, ties and hats, the children have dress clothes on (I am talking Church clothes) and hair combed. Yet, I want the look to have some red in. And I want to look pulled together and effortless. I had my epic moment when I was organizing my closet. Of course! My vintage red print shift dress from my Aunt Christine! How I am going to style it is with black as my neutral. This is how it will look on Christmas Day: the red print shift dress cinched with a black waist belt underneath a black bolero. I am going to make modern with black lace tights and black pumps. Plus, my Grandmother's black bead necklace. It will look special, elegant, and have meaning.

Your Christmas Day look should be special to you. Maybe wear something that was given to you by a family member who is no longer with you. Or wear a favorite dress or blouse. Christmas is a special day and your outfit should be just as special. Just wait till you look at pictures later on and think how special everything was. Especially, your outfit.

Merry Five Days Till Christmas My Realistic Fashionistas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear it! Who does it realistic, how to wear it, and when? Anything else... captivate us!